Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Beautiful Revision

The image I saw in the mirror yesterday doesn't fit the image I see today...

In our quest to become healthier, lose weight, change our image, etc...we must be careful that we don't pick up the world's belief system about ourselves.  It's interesting how we become so consumed with our own portrait while trying to become someone else.  It amazes me that we our so determined to dress, look, and act like the people that surround us...I promise that woman you desire to be only exist in your head.  So, I ask you...what is your definition of beauty?

As a child I looked at my mother as one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen.  I used to sit on her bed and watch her get ready in the morning...!  She would walk around her bedroom stark naked, without any regard to me sitting there.  I remember watching her bounce from her vanity, to the closet, back to the vanity while dressing for the day.  She didn't have a pattern to her process, but it was intriguing to watch.   She wasn't intimidated by my presence or distracted by insecurities.  As I sat on her bed...watching in absolute fascination...I was mesmerized and never uttered a word...afraid I might lose the moment.  I stared at the woman I desired to be!  She had the perfect skin-tone, she was so tall and her legs went on for miles.  Her amber hair glistened from the bathroom light.  My mother was beauty! She was everything that I hoped to embody when my adolescence reached the maturity of a womanhood.

Most women disqualify themselves from beauty because they do not resemble the one who graces the cover of a magazine.  My mother was the epitome of grace and beauty!  Her fame would not be created by her beauty according to today's standards.  My mother was a size 12, her stomach was laced with the evidence of bearing 5 children.  Her hair glistened in the light because it was touched with sliver that often adorns us as we mature in age.  I never saw the very things that would disqualify her from beauty by others. Her fame was created by the admiration of her daughter longing to be just like her!

When we haven't been told what to believe we have the privilege of innocence to decide.  Today, I recognize the woman in the mirror as my mother!  My body size has changed, my hair has lost it's natural lustre and I am quite certain that my face reflects the years and life that I have lived.  The woman that my mother was as a little girl was a woman that I hoped to be...So, today as I look in the mirror I choose to embrace that beauty.

"Beauty is not caused!  It is." Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment